Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I was wrong about Apple iPad | Betanews

I was wrong about Apple iPad | Betanews

Keyword: Immersion.

But I missed the iPad and couldn't quite say why at first. I didn't need the device. Functionally, iPad overlapped with smartphone and laptop.

I was wrong. On further reflection, I realized that iPad offers fresh functionality: Immersion. I find there are fewer reading distractions, and content is better presented than on a laptop and browser. I'm more focused and retain more of what I read. For reasons not easily explained, I find myself more thoroughly reading iBooks than defaulting to the skimming I sometimes do with physical books. Part of this immersive experience is the technology, but also how iPad is used. Apple's tablet is a sit down and focus device, as much because of size and shape as screen and user interface. The totality -- physical design and software benefits -- is immersion.


I would rather call it user experience, not functionality. And Steve Jobs got it right again, user experience is more important than functionality or the spec sheet.

No comments: